When you relocate your office, what should you do with your installed conference room equipment?
If you installed it more than 5 years ago it may not be worth relocating to your new office (Sorry!)
If you’ve ever moved into a new office and have inherited equipment that’s still installed in the room, that’s not a bonus for you… it probably wasn’t worth taking.
Every conference room is different and comes in a huge range of sizes, flexible layouts, and different tastes in furnishings.
Let’s break this down and briefly explain what we would say if you ask us about your equipment when you are moving to a new office.
- If you have analogue devices – mics, signal processors, share devices then don’t reuse them. Old tech is not always useful tech.
- If you have battery-powered devices over 5 years old, then at least, consider new battery packs. If these are not easily available, then don’t reuse them. Bin them (in an environmentally sensitive way of course).
- If the equipment cannot be connected to your network, then don’t reuse it.
- Was the equipment chosen and configured for a very specific environment? If the new office is significantly different, then don’t reuse it. You’ll pay more in labour to make it sort of work (square peg / triangular hole situation).
- Are there any projectors? If they are older than 3 years, don’t reuse them. Projectors have come a long way in that time
- Are there drop-down screens? If you answered yes to the previous question, you will probably answer yes to this. Consider trying to sell both to the next tenant. They can be useful while in place but an expensive hassle to move.
- Are there room controllers integrated into the lighting, drop-down screens, monitors, etc? As above, try to sell to the next tenant. The labour cost will be high to relocate and reconfigure. Not worth it.
- Was the equipment chosen to support vendor environments that you no longer use? IT PROBABLY WON’T WORK. We see this all the time and we can’t ever get it working for you.
- Has the way you share content changed significantly? This might be something that can come move with you and maybe reuse. Ask us!
So, what can I salvage?
- Amps & Speakers
- Digital mics (perhaps)
- Equipment racks
- Newish mixers < 2 years
- DSP’s, and equalisers.
- Screens less than 2 years old are ok.
That’s about it. Resale on VC tech is very low on the 2nd hand market. Most integrators don’t buy back old gear.
Moving to a new office can be laborious and the last thing you’d want is to spend time and money moving equipment that’s at the end of its useful life. Seek professional advice to find out what is worth worrying about.
If what you have needs fixing, we will be happy to help. If you’d like to talk to one of our professional team members about the best solution for your requirements, then fill out the form here and contact us today. We are here to help!